Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Homeschool Shuffle


Homeschooling:  School at Home,  Home Education,  Unschooling,  however you want to say it
Books... Catalogs... Music Lessons... Craft Supplies... Evaluations...



We made it!
The end of May has arrived.  School is mostly finished for us, with the exception of some math and a few spelling words.   I am fairly confident that my children are smarter today than they were 9 months ago :)  

So...now we evaluate:

Did we like the curriculum, did it work for our family?  Is there anything that we should change?  Is there something better out there?  Yes, mostly, possibly, and I am always looking :)


The catalogs flood into our mailbox.  Email updates flood into our inbox.  There is always something that looks bigger, better, grander!  The latest and greatest book or gizmo that will take my children from smart to "out of this world" smart.  Kinda like those tennis shoes that will make you run faster and jump higher...let's just say "yeah, right!"  Sorry, I regress.

Anyway, we have been homeschooling for 8 years now.  We have used many different curriculum.  Some we liked, some we didn't.

But, the one thing I have come to realize is that it is not so much the curriculum, it's what we do with it.  If I am consistently engaged and involved in what my children are learning, we are succeeding.  When I put it on auto pilot and disengage, it drags.

As moms, we set the tone for our homes.  When our hearts and minds are where they should be, our children will follow us. (Our husbands will be happy, too)  When we are joyfully teaching our children, the "how's" become less important. 

I will keep you posted on what we land on for next year.  I am pretty sure I have it figured out.  Except I haven't checked the mail today :) 


Once we get the curriculum figured out, there are always the "extras." Music lessons, open gyms, sports, 4-H, volunteer work,  jobs for the older children, church activities, time for family and friends...the list goes on and on.  This list makes me think about all the naysayers that ask about "socialization,"  seriously???  Don't even get me started on that subject.

What things do you choose to participate in? 



Around here the instruments of choice are the piano and guitar. 
I would like to get harp lessons for my oldest daughter.  I think she would enjoy them.


With all of my planning, I can't leave the "littles" out!  This fall they will be ages 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1. Whew!

The nice thing is that I can really teach them together.  It is amazing what the younger ones will pick up just by listening.  I don't use anything formal for them.  A lot of trips to the library, a few chosen DVDs and some fun games and worksheets are all we use.  Inexpensive and effective.  I do need to decide what to use for teaching reading.  So many options. 

Well off to organize all "our school stuff."  I would love to hear from you!  What are your 'must haves' for this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment