Tuesday, December 16, 2014

My Favorite Tree and A Mystery


We have this tree in my front yard.  Oh, how I love this tree.  I look forward to it's sheltering branches in the winter (it is right beside my bedroom window),  it's beautiful white blooms in the Spring (not to mention the lovely fragrance), the dark, glossy, thick leaves in Summer and the pretty Fall foliage.  

The only problem?  I have no idea what kind of tree it is.
 I have tried to look it up, online, in books, word of mouth.  But, alas, nothing.  

Even though my lovely tree has no name, I took a few pictures from outside my bedroom window to catch the lovely changes that take place in Spring.








As you can tell, I am not a professional photographer, but it was fun capturing the pictures.  As I was thinking of writing this post, I thought it might be fun to take a few pictures of some close up details.  Maybe one of you out there has a similar tree and could help me out.





The tree bark is light colored, and relatively smooth.  The tree trunk splits into the large branches rather low to the ground.  A few of the larger roots are above ground, but not many.



The leaves are a glossy (but not shiny), dark, rich green.  They seem a little thicker than leaves from other trees.  They are a teardrop shape.


These are buds that I collected on the ground around the tree.  They are a light green and super soft. When you rake under the tree and collect these buds it really stirs up a lovely scent.

With our crazy weather during the early Spring, the frost killed the flowers pretty quickly and i didn't get any good close up pictures. : /

So, what do you think?  Any guesses?

For years I thought it was a type of Magnolia.  But, it just didn't look enough like the common variety I saw all over town.

Well, after putting my research together, I think I might have figured it out.

Drum roll please.........


I was right about the Magnolia part, but just not the right species. (I think that is how you say it).  I am thrilled to figure it out!  If we ever move I will be able to buy one.  If you are interested in checking this beautiful tree out for yourself, you can check out Fine Gardening.com.

Mystery solved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment