Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Meal Planning For The Good Intentioned



It's Saturday morning. I sit with paper and pen, maybe a cookbook or two. It's meal planing time.  Ugh.


Remember the old cartoons with the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other?  The picture above demonstrates my thoughts.

On one side is the processed food: quick, easy and generally unhealthy.  I am guaranteed that my kids will gobble it up...and be hungry 20 minutes later :)

Then there is my ideal: healthy, local, fresh and organic.  It generally has a shorter shelf life, often takes a bit more prep time, and I'm not guaranteed my kid will gobble it up.

Then there is my reality: a combination of the two.

Have I figured out the perfect formula? Nope.

I have weeks when we eat home cooked , healthy meals.  Then there are the weeks when we have a stack of empty pizza boxes near the trash can (the curse of having Little Caesar's hot and ready down the street).

Does this make me a bad mom? I don't think so.  Are there moms out there serving only healthy food to their children? You bet!

But, I don't have to compare myself to them.  God has not called us to perfection.

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.  Colossians 3:23

As wives and mothers we all strive to give our best to our families.  Don't become discouraged about what you can't do.  Rejoice and focus on the good things.  Continue on in the journey, do the best you can, and give yourself some Grace!

He already has.



How do you plan meals for your family?  I would love to hear your ideas, failures and successes!  


Follow Sunshine by Channon's board Lunch and Dinner on Pinterest.

4 comments:

  1. I Love the blog my dear and beautiful friend well I can say I struggle with this daily as I work and get hone sometimes at 7 or 8pm . What is been working for me on the days I work I usually have food ready in the crock pot and on the days that I'm off I actually try to cook home made food and yes I been trying to stay away from process food as well what shocks me is that a bag of grapes cost more then a bag of chips which I think should be the other way around enjoy your weekend hun xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen for your sweet words :) Great idea, thank you for sharing. I agree, it is sad that healthy food often times does cost more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last cartoon was so funny Channon! Thanks for the smiles! I would have to say that having canned beans in the pantry has saved me from many meal mishaps because they are versatile and good for you. You can quickly make up some burritos, bean/cheese quesadillas, beans over rice, bean soup with cornbread, taco salad, etc. Just add some greens and you are ready to go. Thanks for sharing your posts on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. I know many of us can relate to your article :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the canned bean idea! They are very versatile, and I wouldn't have to worry about having meat for those meals :)

    ReplyDelete