Tuesday, December 16, 2014

When Your Bodies At Home But Your Mind Isn't part 1


Motherhood is a funny thing. Complex and demanding one day, simple and peaceful the next.  With all the ups and downs, curves and flips, there are times when our days become cloudy and foggy.  When I go through these foggy times, I find myself disconnecting and daydreaming more.  Mediating on all the things that we as mothers feel we have lost...quiet times with our spouse, a clean house, elegant meals, adult food, a house without stepping on Legos!


I tend to go through my days not really looking at the faces of my children.  I become task oriented, just getting things done.  I find that I become irritated more easily, overwhelmed and forgetful.  Am I the only one that feels this way? (Even if I am, don't tell me)  The basic hum of our sweet home gets trampled by a momma whose brain has 'left the building.'

So, what do we do?  How do we clear the fog and get back to the tasks that really bring us such joy?  Here are a few things that I try to remember and put back into my day.

1) Remember that God created me for the exact thing I am doing.  If He allowed me to be in this home with these responsibilities, then He will provide a way for me to get through it.

2) I don't have to be like anybody else.  Not the people at church, not the people on the blogs and Internet, not the perfect mom down the street that seems to have it all together.  I am not a shy person, but I generally am not a big talker.  Well, unless I have too much coffee, or you live in my house.  They seem to think I have plenty to say.  I also tend to find myself liking the strange, quirky things that most people just raise an eyebrow to.  I march to the beat of my own drum, and I have to remember that it's a good thing.  What quirky things make you happy?

3) Don't lay aside your passions or dreams.  We may not be able to do it all right now, but we can grab a piece here and there.  Maybe your dream is to visit the French countryside, but it's just not a possibility right now.  Capture the things you can.  Maybe some fresh lavender made into sachets, a picture for your wall, a special book or recipe that reminds you of that country.  God knows our hearts desires.  Pray to Him to show you ways to incorporate pieces of your dream into the everyday.

4) Stop trying to be Superwoman in your home.  If you are running around frantically trying to get it all done, and be everything to everybody....your going to fail.  It's not possible to carry that load alone!  Look around your home. What are your children doing?  If your home is like ours, then not a lot sometimes.  Hand over that mop, share the vacuum, don't hog the dishwasher!  There are so many things that children are capable of.  When you have a family, you are in it together.  Whether it's working or playing.  Your children are a needed, wonderful part of your home, don't forget them. (Some whining might occur, but charge on anyway )

I hope that these few tips will help brighten your day, and help you see through the fog.  What  ways do you combat the 'foggy brain' syndrome?  I would love to hear from you.


Follow Sunshine by Channon's board Couple Time on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment