Tuesday, December 16, 2014

How I Organize Our Homeschool



I often get asked the question, "How do you do it all?"  The answer is truthfully, "I don't!" :)  We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  As homeschooling mom's (really moms in general) we all have ways that we keep our little castle humming along.

With 7 children we try to use up all available nooks and crannies.  We don't have a room just for 'school'.  But we have a cozy dining room that gets a ton of use.
This is the main hub of our supplies and curriculum.  I thought I would give a mini tour for those of you who want to take a peek.

1. The top shelf tends to become a home for all the things that the Bigs don't want the Littles to touch.  Things like science experiments, model boats and cars, and Lego creations.  This, too is the shelf least dusted :)



2. This shelf is used to hold current read alouds and an overflow area for library books.

3. This is our Science and Nature Study shelf.  I have recently begun collecting books on these subjects to use as reference.  The green and pink binders are my print offs from Handbook of Nature Study and other things I have copied.  They are organized by Month and Season.  The white binders on this shelf are the kids work.



4. Library book shelf.

5. These two last shelves are our books: poetry, devotionals, history and craft books.

6. The bottom shelf holds my "To Do Later" stuff.  I have one blue binder for each season.  The other binders and small hanging file folders hold future unit studies and kids crafts.

7.  This shelf holds all of our Arch Bible story books.  The little container with drawers holds all of our blank notebooking pages and bible paper dolls.  I also have a binder with Bible crafts for my older sons to use with the Littles.



8. This shelf holds our books that the children read, coloring books and blank spiral notebooks to draw in.

9.  I keep our artists and composer resources here.  My binder is the pink one and contains all of our artists and composers to be studied through the year.  The other binders are for Andrew and Parker.

10.  The shelf I hide the markers from my littlest.

11.  I purchased some inexpensive clear containers from Walmart a while ago, and they have been a huge help.  The kids can see exactly whats in them, and we can put lids on them to keep out the younger ones if needed.  They hold craft supplies, magnetic letters, fancy scissors, etc.  The baskets hold all the things that I want the children to forget they exist until we need them :) Things like permanent markers, beads, yarn, also easily lost items like plastic needles.


12.  This shelf holds crayons, washable markers, colored pencils, glue sticks, etc.



I ordered the posters from Rod and Staff. I don't have a link here.  I ordered it from my catalog.  They are wonderful, and I would eventually like to have them framed.  I added them to the back of the shelves to lighten them up, and I just liked them.

Well, there we have it.  We have a few more spaces that I squirrel things away, but I really like that we can all see things at a glance. Out of sight, out of mind.

I still look for motivation on better ways to do things.  Any ideas? I would love to hear how you organize your home school!


Follow Sunshine by Channon's board Literature: Books and Activities on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment